Sunday, October 05, 2014

Souvenir Shopping @ Arusha


We went for a quick lunch at the hotel.  We gotta remind ourselves that this is Africa and it takes two calls to get anything done (like getting a hair dryer sent to our room earlier in the morning)



Marg's fish

My lamb chop (almost well done lol)


Ice cream!!!!!

We were a bit nervous as Lema said he would come at 2pm and our mains came at 1:50pm.  But in any case we were able to get back to our room at 2:15ish and some hotel lady came to tell us our driver came at 2:20.  Lema sent Kappange amd Aga to helped driving us to town.  It really is impossible to walk to town without any guides.  We are happy that we are in good hands!


The ride to town was like 15 min and when you see the clock tower which divides south and north Africa, you know you are in Arusha.


We got to the Mt Meru curios and shops, which is also known as the Maasai market.  I think the shops all sell similar stuff and it depends how good your bargaining skill is coz you definitely meed to bargain.

The squat toilet at the market.  Bring back memories of Nepal!

I ended up with a tinga tinga for $20, and a wax painting plus a soap bowl for $20. I think it is bot too bad a deal.  I did not get the wooden chair I wanted though.  Asked for $30 (orig price was $75) and their last price was $40.  Good that I didnt get it or else i would have a headache how to bring it back lol 

Pretty lady vendors who said pictures are free :). Though Margaret did buy something from them.  Isnt that easy to get money out of my friend's pocket?  Haha...

Notice the purple tree in the background?  Quite cool!  

It stared to rain and it was time to go.  Our next stop was to get SIM cards for our phones.

No comments: