Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sprungli's luxembergerli vs Laduree's macaron

This is what i wanted to do when i transitted thru Zurich and Paris during my trip to Nepal back in 2011, but could not find a Laduree stall at CDG. Luckily my friend needed to goto Europe for a business trip and offered to bring BOTH goodies back! I was so excited! Really liked luxembergerli when I had it last November so was really eagar to see the difference.

Look at the huge Laduree box! This one can sit 40 of them!

Here is my collection of luxembergerli from Sprungli (left) and macaron (right) from Laduree! So many eh!! Thanks so much to my friend! Although they are so fragile that some of them broke but that is ok! I am after the taste, not their looks :)

Look at the size difference between luxem and macaron! I could not really taste what flavor it was on the left but the macaron is orange blossom

This is orange blossom macaron... Very fragrant! But my hubby thought it was too fragrant.... I guess this flavor is not on top of my list...

I have rearranged the remainder and see the size difference again. See I still have a lot left!

Here are the salted caramel! Totally looking forward to them! The luxembergerli has salt on the shell but macaron is more subtle.... Which one is better?

The Luxembergerli version is nice, but I think it has lost a lot of its flavors already after a few days out. Also the filling is caramel cream, which makes it just 'meh' for me.

It is true that Laduree's macaron is sweeter, but the caramel filling is very complex and it is the kind I like! The shells are too thin though for me...

The left is raspberry luxembergerli and right is rose cream macaron

The rose cream is very fragrant again, but cant say i am too wow'ed by it.

Here are the raspberries side by side. Lots more coloring on the luxembergerli!

Look at the inside of luxembergerli! It actually has a jam center! But i feel that it is a bit over powering.... And somehow too too sweet for me.

The raspberry macaron is more subtle with flavors, less sweet and clearly the winner!

The pistachio macaron is pretty good, very nutty! But I think I prefer the luxembergerli version that i remember from November 2011. Wish i have one to try this time around!

Blackcurrent and violet macaron. A bit too sweet and strong.... Can do without

Chocolate face-off! The luxembergerli version is just plain chocolate.... But the macaron version is really more complex! Again i prefer the Laduree version

Lemon luxembergerli.... Meh!

Vanilla luxembergerli .... Okay i feel that if luxembergerli is on day 1 then it should be better... Feel that it is not too fair to compare Day 4 luxembergerli to Day 2 macaron...

Coffee luxembergerli.... Vince did not think it was that great.... Again i think it could be better if it is on Day 1.

What is my verdict?

Size: Luxembergerli
Much prefer smaller size! Macaron is waaay too big for me!

Texture: Luxembergerli
I do prefer the tougher shell there and when it was on Day 1, it still feels soft inside but slightly crunchy. I think the macaron is a bit too dense to my liking

Shell: Luxembergerli
i prefer the flavor in luxembergerli coz diff shell has diff flavor. Too bad i cannot taste the same at this batch but last November, it really had the diff taste at each shell! Looking forward to try that again soon.

Nose: Both are fine. They both smell similar

Filling: Laduree
It is definitely more complex and fine... Obviously with secret ingredients and techniques. Luxembergerli I found is more down to earth with the taste but not as fine and detailed like Laduree.

There you have it! I am glad i finally got to do the taste test! I am gonna put the remainder the the freezer and see if they would hold up like the ones i made :)

No comments: